Monday, February 15, 2016

Categories

Categories.
Such a simple word, but so dark.
People use them as labels.
People use them to hate.
You used it on me, called me “Jock” and “Nerd.”
You insulted my shoes and my curly hair.
Insulted my outfit, whatever I would wear.
I straightened my hair.
No more curls, can you see?
No more curls, and, also, no more me.
I don’t know why you hated me and were evil.
I don’t know why you kicked me down in front of people.
But thank you for your lesson, cruel as it was.
Thank you for teaching me, this is because
I will now break the bonds put on me.
I will escape these categories.
I’ll make my own that everyone fits in.
I don’t care people think it’s a sin!
I don’t care that I’m smart,
Don’t care about my athletic part.
I don’t care about labels! They are as confining as stables!
How am I supposed to be me,
When nobody likes the me they see?
I know how, I have a plan.
I’m removing labels from every land.
Because without labels, without categories,
Everyone, themselves, can be.
I don’t care what you think.
I don’t care you think I stink.
Because I’m now free as a bird.
Free to spread this final word.
Categories.
Such a disgusting word.
Categories, labels, get out of this world!
Everyone your label is now “Unique!”
You shouldn’t care what others think.
This is it, the last hurrah.
So, I thank my bullies for their hateful song.
It inspired me to break away,
So thanks, dear enemies, you made my day.
OoOoOoOoO
I wrote this in response to a terrible day at school that I had where everyone was just shoving me into a category that I didn't want. Why do categories exist? Because bullies want an easy way to choose their victims. Don't help them. Stop them.

No comments:

Post a Comment